Thursday, April 28, 2005

Lesson learned (maybe)

This year’s tomato seedlings presented a baffling problem. Varieties planted at the same time and under the same conditions exhibited widely variable vigor. Some grew large and healthy while others failed to thrive, some looking stunted and chlorotic.


Isis seedlings

I posted a query to the Gardenweb tomato forum (that wonderfully enabling gathering place for tomato fanatics) and was answered quickly by Craig, tomato grower extraordinaire. He had experienced similar size variability and said that the smaller plants would catch up. And some did seem to be growing but others stayed small and sickly.

At my wits end (tomato planting time was right around the corner), I removed a few weak plants from their pots and discovered what I think was the problem.

When I transplant seedlings I prepare a mix of commercial potting mix and coir, usually 4 or 5 to 1. The coir improves texture, making it more wettable and giving it a loamy consistency. The commercial organic mix provides a variety of nutrients necessary to get the seedlings off to a good start. It appeared that I mixed one batch of potting mix with a much higher proportion of coir. The seedlings planted in this batch were not getting the same amount of necessary nutrients; coir is essentially nutrient free.

I have since transplanted all the seedlings into new and carefully prepared potting mix and they have leapt back to life.

It seems to me that there are some life lessons that we are doomed to repeat, in one guise or another, until we get them right or move beyond these earthly coils. This tomato experience illustrates one of mine. Working quickly and efficiently is not the same as hurrying. Hurrying has a frenetic, anxious component that clouds the mind and increases the chance of mistakes. I was in a hurry when I made that batch of mix and transplanted my seedlings. Had I taken a moment to breathe and focus I would have noticed the error and saved myself a lot of grief.

Lesson learned? I really hope so. I’m so ready to move on to the next assignment!

3 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Looking forward to seeing photos of these in the community garden plot!

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger a gardener said...

jenn...i am too. the plot is dug, the tomatoes ready, now if only the weather would cooperate!!!

sally

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情人歡愉用品,情惑用品性哥,情人用品性哥,情趣用品,AIO交友愛情館,情人歡愉用品,美女視訊,情色交友,情人用品性哥,視訊交友,辣妹視訊,美女交友,性愛,嘟嘟成人網,按摩棒,震動按摩棒,微調按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,逼真按摩棒,G點,跳蛋,跳蛋,跳蛋,性感內衣,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,情趣娃娃,角色扮演,性感睡衣,後庭區,SM,潤滑液,情趣禮物,威而柔,香水,精油,芳香精油,自慰,自慰套,性感吊帶襪,情趣用品加盟,情人節禮物,情人節,吊帶襪,辣妹視訊,美女交友,情色交友,成人交友,視訊聊天室,美女視訊,視訊美女,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友,視訊聊天,AIO交友愛情館,嘟嘟成人網,成人貼圖,成人網站,AIO交友愛情館,情色,情色貼圖,情色文學,情色交友,色情聊天室,色情小說,七夕情人節,色情,A片,A片下載,免費A片,免費A片下載,情色視訊,情色電影,色情網站,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,美女視訊,視訊美女,美女交友,美女,情色交友,成人交友,自拍,本土自拍,情人視訊網,視訊交友90739,生日禮物,情色論壇,正妹牆,正妹,成人網站,A片,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,AV女優,成人影片,色情A片,成人論壇,情趣

 

Post a Comment

<< Home