Friday, January 21, 2005

A small rant and a modest proposal

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden.
Minnie Aumonier

Wearies? Events have steamrolled right over the wearying, blew by demoralizing, and are careening toward debilitating. The miasma that passes for civil discourse settles over the spirit like a heavy dark cloak - light cannot pass in or out; or possibly a black hole, sucking energy, both personal and planetary.

Maybe it’s time to take a cue from another Aumonier quote

There is always music amongst the trees in the garden, but our hearts must be very quiet to hear it.

Maybe it’s time to turn off the radio. Do I really need to hear the litany of largely undeserved self-congratulations coming from politicians and leaders of every stripe?

Maybe it’s time to remove political and news blogs from my Bloglines list.

Maybe it’s time to visit garden forums, where the disagreements concern the advisability of winter sowing tomatoes in Zone 5.

Maybe it’s time to settle down with some garden writing, seed catalogs and my garden journal. A little perspective, please.

When you’re hanging on by a thread, identify that thread and do all you can to strengthen it. Gardening is my thread, consistently providing therapy through years of ups and downs. If this blink in time seems a bit crazier, well, perhaps it is. Gardening serves as a gentle reminder that the wheel turns and seasons come and go, each filled with its own impossibly tender beauty.

So maybe it’s time to go outside and look for tulip noses poking through the damp earth and reaching into the winter mist.


5 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Tulip noses! I should be so lucky! I won't even see snowdrops till March. Sometimes the crocuses don't bloom till April. No lie! But I think you are actually further north than I am, and thus get even less light. This morning it got so cold my wireless min-max thermometer couldn't record the temperature. It bottoms out at -22 degrees F, but all I know is it got colder than that.

I am adding the following to my collection of garden quotes:
"When you’re hanging on by a thread, identify that thread and do all you can to strengthen it. Gardening is my thread, consistently providing therapy through years of ups and downs. If this blink in time seems a bit crazier, well, perhaps it is. Gardening serves as a gentle reminder that the wheel turns and seasons come and go, each filled with its own impossibly tender beauty."

I hope things look up for you soon.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger a gardener said...

Thanks, Kathy. Things started looking better as soon as I quit listening to the news and went on my tulip nose hunt. Found one!

-22 degrees??!! Yikes. I am vowing never to complain about the freezing fog again. You cold climate gardeners are intrepid pioneers and I have great respect for anyone that gardens in the low number zones.

Sally

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

"A little perspective, please."

Hear, hear!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger a gardener said...

jenn, avril, gabrielle....thanks. you are all so right. perspective in the form of music instead of news, accompanied by tea ( big green hojicha green), CHOCOLATE....and the garden dreaming. plus my seeds have started to arrive. Planted a few yesterday. Balance is restored.

Sally

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've just re-read this - what wise words. I agree with Kathy about your 'quote' about gardening being your thread - would you mind if I put this into one of my future newsletters/blog entries? (with a link back here of course). Thanks, Fiona

 

Post a Comment

<< Home