Thursday, January 13, 2005

Seeds

Winter flu can take the fun out of seed catalog browsing. The catalogs sat on the bed, next to the Kleenex, but I just couldn’t bring my fuzzy stuffed brain to process all those lovely descriptions and photographs.

Fortunately, as gardeners have learned, all things run their course. My pile of seed catalogs has been devoured and thoroughly cross referenced, a parsimonious process starting with a compilation of a wish list of special seeds followed by checking their availability in the Pinetree catalog, a source of smaller and less expensive seed packets.

Not that I don’t order some from other companies. My seed orders this year include Pinetree, Cook’s, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, Tomatofest, Territorial Seeds, Parks, Golden Harvest Organic and Milk Ranch Specialty Potatoes . How do I justify the expense of many different shipping costs? It is a circuitous rationalization beginning with a calculation of how much I would spend if, for example, I were a downhill skier and bought a season pass. Cost of said pass is $399. I’d say that the few dollars in shipping is chump change by comparison. In fact, one can creatively pursue this faulty logic to justify all means of exorbitance - “I have saved so much by not buying that ski pass. Now what shall I do with all that money?”

Just kidding.

Still, I view my gardening expenses as relatively modest when compared to many other hobbies/obsessions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each year I love to try some new (to me) heirloom tomatoes plus a few new plants. I’ll save the rather lengthy tomato list for another day, but here are some other interesting finds for this year:

'Purple Ribbon' lavender from Pinetree, a Lavandula stoechas subsp. pedunculata that blooms the first year from seed.

Asparagus fern, a mix of Asparagus densiflorus 'Meyersii' and A.densiflorus 'Sprengeri', also from Pinetree.

Whopper Lighthouse, a Salvia splendens from Parks, described as reaching 30”

Giant Exhibition Coleus collection, also from Parks. I have grown Palisandra and Limelight from this series and was happy to discover this collection. It also includes Tartan, Copper Queen and Scarlet II.

Diva cucumber, a Beit Alpha cuke with mid eastern heritage and parthenocarpic to boot.

Several mâche varieties from Cook’s. After reading a fascinating article in the Food Issue of the New Yorker last fall I am compelled to at least try to grow this gourmet green myself.









7 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

You would definitely appreciate Henry Mitchell, if you haven't already read him. I am thinking specifically of an essay in the last chapter of _The Essential Earthman_ entitled "Garden Account Book." While he doesn't mention ski passes specifically, let us just say that great minds think alike and leave it at that.

Also, do you have a spreadsheet program at your disposable? A half hour spent setting up a template, and your seed price comparisons will be so much easier. Nothing like putting technology to work on something truly useful.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger a gardener said...

Hi Kathy,

I do like Henry Mitchell but have not read that essay. Another book on my library list!

And spreadsheets are perfect for garden stuff tho I have not tried a seed price comparison. Sounds like a great way to make up my orders without the paper lists which seem to disappear when I need them!

Sally

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

“I have saved so much by not buying that ski pass. Now what shall I do with all that money?”Why, buy books on remainder at Borders, of course!
I am a sucker for the big encyclopedic picture books (what gardner isn't?) and picked up two yesterday...

And all those seeds! I am impressed. My seed starting is an activity I talk much about and rarely do. Maybe this year... Of course, each year I buy a fistfull of seedpackets that are still waiting to be planted. Some of those are bound to be viable, no?

The eternal optimism of the insane.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Oh, Jenn, besides Borders, there is Edward Hamilton and Daedalus books (mail order only) and Powell's. Don't limit yourself!!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Um. Well, see... There have to be SOME limits.

And I do use Powells. They are fantastic about letting you know when they find something you are looking for.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger a gardener said...

Jenn,
Great idea. I can spend some of my phantom cash on books, maybe the Henry Mitchell Kathy suggested. And Kathy, you are right about great bookstores. I used to love to go to Powell's whenever in Portland. Now I can get to them from anywhere!

As for seeds...I am fortunate to have the use of a greenhouse where I work. This makes seed starting so much easier! And I can start varieties I would not be able to find otherwise.

(Blogger seems to have posted my earlier comment twice, the second with a slightly more primitive flavor and credited to a completely different user. Go figure)

 
At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, I enjoy reading gardening blogs from other states and was surprised to see Asparagus fern on this list. I noticed you are in zone 7, does it grow as an annual up there? I thought it was normally a coastal plant, so maybe I am wrong!
I live in Florida, and have a bunch of it growing randomly in my side yard. It is a plant that has been around forever, very common in South Florida. I remember the masses of asparagus fern planted as a border alongside houses in my neighborhood when I was a kid. It's a very tough plant, seems to have weathered everything from drought to hurricanes very well.

enjoyed reading your blog :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home