Thursday, November 25, 2004

Giving thanks

A garden provides many opportunities to reflect on larger themes. Thanksgiving, while now distanced from its original bountiful harvest theme,still encourages introspection and an appreciative inventory of reasons to garden. My abbreviated list of reasons to be thankful:

Today’s promised rain. I imagine this soaking rain will, before too long, reach the tulip bulbs and begin the cycle that results in such a colorful display in the spring.

My discovery of a new source for the tulips, Colorblends. I have mentioned this company in previous posts. If the bulbs’ size and health are any indication I am optimistic about my spring garden.

The thyme and flat leaf parsley still growing. It is so satisfying to venture out into the dripping gloom of a late November garden to harvest some ingredients for stuffing (new recipe courtesy of Bakerina).

SO’s uncomplaining willingness to double dig my small raised beds and wrestle the bale size bags of potting mix from the truck down to the garden. In addition, the truckloads of manure he has hauled in must not go unnoticed in this litany.

The arrival of the Thompson and Morgan catalog, a harbinger of the upcoming catalog season. Their offerings are always unique, and though I feel a bit humbled and out of my league when browsing through the pages, I always enjoy the glimpse into a kind of garden I strive for.

The digital camera. My mastery of the SLR is below minimal and my skills with the digital are similar. But the ability to chronicle garden events is vastly enhanced and the ease of use encourages more frequent photographs.

The myriad of jewel moments part of every day in the garden, some of which appear in 100 things.

Candlegrove. This website has been my winter mainstay since it began. It never fails to ground me and remind me that our seasonal celebrations have deep and diverse roots and a rich history.

Other garden bloggers. Their posts have made me laugh, cry, and simply sit and think. They have introduced me to new authors, new plants and new attitudes and I appreciate their sharing.

In an increasingly chaotic world I take comfort from these gifts in my life. Many use this holiday as a reminder to appreciate what good fortune they find in their lives and I am grateful for any nudge toward mindfulness, a practice our gardens can teach us to cultivate.

Ten thousand flowers in the spring.
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
If your mind isn’t clouded by unnecessary things,
This is the best season of your life.

Wu-Men