Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Spring tonic

The classic spring tonic is a collection of bitter greens and herbs selected for their purifying characteristics. Stewed together, the unappetizing result is reputed to cleanse and invigorate the blood, supposedly thick and flaccid after months of inactivity.

Whatever. To my mind planting greens is the ultimate tonic. Five lettuces, two cresses and two mâches; these are the first seeds I’m planting this late winter and they will provide seedlings for my early spring garden. The very act of planting provides a wakeup call after a long winter’s nap.


The routine in itself is therapeutic. I sterilize all the containers in chlorine bleach solution and lay them out to dry. I then turn my attention to the seedling mix. In past years I used peat moss in this mix. But last year I became a coir dust devotee. Coir dust, often referred to as simply coir, is far superior to peat in all respects. It is renewable, pH neutral and is readily wetted. Peat always seemed almost hydrophobic, a bad quality in a seed starting mix! A coir brick magically absorbs water and turns into a fluffy planting medium.

Coir is a byproduct obtained from the processing of coconut shells to extract coir fiber. Once considered a problem to dispose of, the coir dust is now used in many agricultural applications, including peat substitutes and coir pots.

My starting mix is roughly equal amounts of coir, vermiculite and perlite. This is a sterile non-nutritive mix, light enough to allow tiny germinating seedlings to push through and free of soil contaminants.

After planting I put some kind of clear plastic dome on the flats and place on a heat mat. The dome serves to retain heat and keep humidity high. This little microenvironment is conducive to germination but must be watched carefully. As soon as seedlings appear I remove the dome to increase air circulation and discourage damping off.

Once I’ve planted I begin my annual waiting dance. Each morning I check for germination. Never mind that the seeds were planted only one day earlier. I have even resorted to using a hand lens to spot germination still not visible to the naked eye. I only hope no one comes into the greenhouse to find me in the middle of this microscopic examination.

But I really can’t help myself. Germination is a small miracle. I never tire of watching the annual affirmation. It renews me and gives me a little nudge toward resuming garden activities. My spring tonic indeed. And it works every time.

My greens roll call:

Red Sails Lettuce
Simpson Elite Lettuce
Redina Lettuce
Green Ice Lettuce
New Red Fire Lettuce
Upland Cress
Broadleaf Cress
Bistro Mâche
Piedmont Mâche

1 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger a gardener said...

So many greens. I have grown arugula and mizuna. My arugula gets bitter so fast and bolts too soon. Am thinking that I should try successive sowings and harvest when very small. It is fun to try your own greens mix like the ones that sell at the local food co-op for seven dollars a pound!

Sally

 

Post a Comment

<< Home