Saturday, March 12, 2005

Oh, Daphne!

The fragrance of winter daphne, Daphne odora, transports me as close to the gates of heaven as I am ever likely to get. Winter weary, anxious for tender sprouts and warm breezes, I am always surprised to see buds on the daphne so early each year. Anything that smells that good must surely be a fragile hothouse beauty, unsuited for the night’s freezing temperatures.




But the delicate blossoms are tough. They hang in through frosts and one day a single blossom on the little nosegays (an apt descriptor of the flower clusters) begins to open. This signals spring as surely as the lengthening days and in spite of whatever little meteorological surprises Mother Nature may have up her voluminous blue sleeve.

Daphne may be tough but she is not easy. This particular daphne marks my third attempt to succeed with a container planting. The plant does not like exposure to drying winds. It does not like to be waterlogged. But neither does it like to dry out. This year’s success I chalk up to a merciful universe and no particular expertise on my part.

Many years ago I lived in a tiny apartment across from a private college in the Willamette Valley. Planted against one brick building was a veritable hedge of winter daphne. I often would lie on the grass next to that building, breathing in the heady scent of hundreds of blossoms. This experience defines an entire period of my life.

Prevailing wisdom maintains that, of all the senses, the sense of smell is the most powerful stimulus of memory. I believe this is true because each spring when I lean over my small daphne plant and inhale the heady aroma I am back on that lawn, floating on a cloud of fragrance, looking up at the sky.

4 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Maggie Ann said...

I have never seen this before, so scooted over to Botanical.com. Interesting.

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw two of these shrubs at an older home I was looking at in Raleigh. The fragrance was unbelievable. So beautiful. I had to come home and find out what it was and Winter Daphne is it! One of the plants had varigated leaves and the other solid green. Both were beautiful and scented. It certainly is something I would like to try. The home I was at belonged to a lady from the NC mts. She had landscaped it to remind her of home. I can't help but wonder if it will do well in Raleigh's climate. It probably needs shade and protection from the winter wind. Anyone know its needs?

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew these down in Atlanta - probably pretty similar climate to Raleigh. What worked best for them down there - due to extreme heat in summer which they do NOT tolerate - was to put them in pots. That way, you can move them. In the winter, they did great in full sun. In the summer, with its oppressive heat, I moved them to morning sun. Worked beautifully. Now I'm in Richmond, VA, 7a versus 7b (Atlanta), and they are not doing well. Full of flower buds, but none are opening. Too cold, I think, even in full sun. We'll see. Good luck - the fragrance is intoxicating, and addicting! Wouldn't be February in my mind without this fragrance!

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情人歡愉用品,情惑用品性哥,情人用品性哥,情趣用品,AIO交友愛情館,情人歡愉用品,美女視訊,情色交友,情人用品性哥,視訊交友,辣妹視訊,美女交友,性愛,嘟嘟成人網,按摩棒,震動按摩棒,微調按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,逼真按摩棒,G點,跳蛋,跳蛋,跳蛋,性感內衣,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,情趣娃娃,角色扮演,性感睡衣,後庭區,SM,潤滑液,情趣禮物,威而柔,香水,精油,芳香精油,自慰,自慰套,性感吊帶襪,情趣用品加盟,情人節禮物,情人節,吊帶襪,辣妹視訊,美女交友,情色交友,成人交友,視訊聊天室,美女視訊,視訊美女,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友,視訊聊天,AIO交友愛情館,嘟嘟成人網,成人貼圖,成人網站,AIO交友愛情館,情色,情色貼圖,情色文學,情色交友,色情聊天室,色情小說,七夕情人節,色情,A片,A片下載,免費A片,免費A片下載,情色視訊,情色電影,色情網站,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,美女視訊,視訊美女,美女交友,美女,情色交友,成人交友,自拍,本土自拍,情人視訊網,視訊交友90739,生日禮物,情色論壇,正妹牆,正妹,成人網站,A片,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,AV女優,成人影片,色情A片,成人論壇,情趣

 

Post a Comment

<< Home