Sunday, May 08, 2005

A Kitchen Herb Pot

The front bed of my garden has gone wild. Once devoted to herbs, it has been overtaken by the decidedly tasteless wild marjoram, rose yarrow and that grass-that-will-not-be-named. Add to those a curry plant that is looking sickly, a rosemary that is easily 4 feet in diameter and a lavender that resembles a coast cypress and you have a renovation that is daunting.

Faced with a project that could be tackled only on weekends, and only in captured moments between preparing vegetable beds, transplanting and seeding, I found myself coveting a culinary herb pot.

And why not, I asked myself. This would be a simple solution, satisfying need for fresh herbs through the summer and allowing me to proceed with the herb bed renovation at a practical pace. With many of my kitchen herbs in a convenient pot, I could plant a few of the more esoteric or magical herbs and find spots for the perennials I seeded this winter with such reckless abandon (all germinated and accounted for, thank you very much)!

And so it came to pass.



A project like this is a gardener’s dream. I put it together in less than a couple of hours (not counting the leisurely pleasure of herb selection at the local nursery).

If you are looking for a thoroughly gratifying garden project, here follows my recipe for kitchen herb pot. Like all good recipes, it can be modified to suit individual tastes.

1 half whiskey barrel
Garden Bloome Potting Mix
Many herbs of your choice

I selected the following for planting around the edge of the pot (from the top clockwise):
Italian oregano
Caraway thyme
Lime thyme
Garlic chives
Silver thyme
Chives
Oregano thyme
Culinary thyme
Lemon thyme


In the center I planted
Tricolor sage
French tarragon
Purple sage
‘Rachel’s Gold’ sage


(In case you are wondering about the conspicuous absence of parsley, chervil and other shade tolerant herbs, well, that is a container story for another day.)

Last night’s dinner marked the official opening of the new kitchen herb pot. I had recently picked a batch of asparagus and had lovely new herbs just a few steps away when, in a bit of serendipity, a recipe for Herbed Asparagus Orecchiette appeared in an email! I snipped sprigs from the lemon, lime, silver and culinary thymes and substituted Italian oregano for marjoram. The dinner experience was a ringing endorsement of the new herb garden annex.

3 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Randa said...

How so very lovely! Thank you for sharing that!

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Mo said...

Last years herb garden was too far in the back yard for my lazy butt to keep well-tended, so this yr. I, too,planted a herb container garden (much smaller than yours tho, two large strawberry pots contain mine) and am ever-so-pleased ith the result(read: I am actually *using* them this year!)

Thanks for sharing your wonderful green thumb with us.

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情人歡愉用品,情惑用品性哥,情人用品性哥,情趣用品,AIO交友愛情館,情人歡愉用品,美女視訊,情色交友,情人用品性哥,視訊交友,辣妹視訊,美女交友,性愛,嘟嘟成人網,按摩棒,震動按摩棒,微調按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,逼真按摩棒,G點,跳蛋,跳蛋,跳蛋,性感內衣,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,情趣娃娃,角色扮演,性感睡衣,後庭區,SM,潤滑液,情趣禮物,威而柔,香水,精油,芳香精油,自慰,自慰套,性感吊帶襪,情趣用品加盟,情人節禮物,情人節,吊帶襪,辣妹視訊,美女交友,情色交友,成人交友,視訊聊天室,美女視訊,視訊美女,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友,視訊聊天,AIO交友愛情館,嘟嘟成人網,成人貼圖,成人網站,AIO交友愛情館,情色,情色貼圖,情色文學,情色交友,色情聊天室,色情小說,七夕情人節,色情,A片,A片下載,免費A片,免費A片下載,情色視訊,情色電影,色情網站,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,情色視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,美女視訊,視訊美女,美女交友,美女,情色交友,成人交友,自拍,本土自拍,情人視訊網,視訊交友90739,生日禮物,情色論壇,正妹牆,正妹,成人網站,A片,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,AV女優,成人影片,色情A片,成人論壇,情趣

 

Post a Comment

<< Home