Saturday, June 25, 2005

First tomato

I admit to engaging in a bit of shameless crowing. A ripe tomato in June! And another will be ready in a few days. The rest will be more on schedule but many plants have full size fruit so the wait will not be too long.

What a wonderful treat to return from a few days out of town and find that the tomato I had been watching was A) still on the vine and not carried away by some marauder and B) ripe and ready to eat.

The variety is ‘Stupice’, an heirloom noted for earliness. It was not on my tomato list for this year, but a friend had started seeds and discovered that some of the seedlings were potato leaf (the real ‘Stupice’) and some standard leaf. I suggested that she might grow out one of each for fun and she handed me two plants.

Now most gardeners might have politely declined, offering some lame excuse such as lack of room in the tomato bed. But any reader who has been bitten by the tomato bug knows that there is always room for more. So I planted the two plants and have been rewarded. The standard leaf plant is huge and loaded with oblong fruit with pointy ends. The seed was from a commercial source so I assume that the rogue plant was from a mix up in the packing rather than a cross-pollination issue. After a bit of research I have discovered that several heirloom varieties have little points at the end: Amish Gold, Wonder Light, Polish Linguisa to name a few. So I will wait and probably never be sure about the pedigree of the pretender.

But I’m very glad I accepted these plants. The tomato was absolutely delicious and gave me a chance to practice the particular style of understatement peculiar to gardeners. For those interested here are a few simple guidelines.

Never start a conversation with a fellow gardener by announcing your particular horticultural victory. Let it be almost an afterthought.

Strive for a slightly offhand manner, as if you always get ripe tomatoes in early June.

Above all, refrain from cackling with justifiable glee.


I am sorry to report that I did let slip the smallest of cackles.


*****************************************************************
Update

Thanks to Kathy at Cold Climate Gardening for the heads-up on some serious tomato competition. I am tossing my feed cap into the ring over at Dr. Charles Examining Room tomato contest.





'Stupice' 2005

9 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Too bad you weren't entered in this contest: http://drcharles.blogspot.com/2005/05/first-sunday-of-may-tomato-gardening.html

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Mo said...

well, I'm in FL, so I've been harvesting my tomatoes already, but wanted to leave you with three words -

fried green tomatoes!! (yummy!)
;)

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

;) very glad to hear about your first tomato! I've never grown them before and have four plants in the garden as I type, all covered in wonderful yellow flowers... haven't been so excited about anything for ages! Isn't Amish Gold a lovely name? Hope you enjoy a fantastic harvest.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger IlonaGarden said...

How wonderful- the rest of us(Notherners) can only envy that first fabulous taste of homegrown tomato.... Kudos

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Kati said...

I'll certainly forgive your crowing! I got so much enjoyment from your failure to restrain yourself, having failed so many times to exercize discretion myself. Misery loves company!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Nickie said...

Congrats. I have had two types of maters ripening since the middle of the month- Bloddy Butcher (op early) Which I highly recomend if you can somehow find seeds for it (I save my own from year to year) and a new kind I tried this year- Oregon Spring (OP) Which i WOULD NOT recomend cause even the maters are early, they suck. Ive not gotten to eat one due to blossome end rot- the ONLY tomato I have ever had that has that problem.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Still jealous of your 'maters.

Growning some next year, no matter what the cranky man says (he hates tomatoes...)

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stupice is a terrific variety, especially if you have a short season, and of course you can save seeds. The year I grew them I had 41 tomato plants of over a dozen varieties. I love growing them and wish I still could devote the time to them they need. No such thing as too many tomatoes!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Strata Chalup said...

I noticed that your 2005 tomato list has a number of varieties that I hope to try for the first time in 2006-- I've ordered seeds already, but hope I made good choices!

Would love to see an annotated version of http://aneclecticgarden.com/tomatoes2005.html that briefly says whether it did well for you, and if the taste lived up to all the hyperbole.

Reading heirloom tomato sites on the web a week or two ago to order seeds for next year, I found I just *had* to get up and get a tomato from the lot ripening on a tray on the counter. Could not continue w/o eating one...yet despite it being a good Ace or Better Boy tomato, my palate yearned for all the exotica being described (citrus, mango, chocolate complexity, etc)

I haven't saved any tomato seeds yet this year, but saw how easy it is on Victory Garden the other night. Something about seeing a small, well-contained glass bowl full of tomato ooze makes me think "oh, I can do this!" much better than reading the word 'ferment' repeatedly on paper. :-)

cheers,
Strata

 

Post a Comment

<< Home