Monday, March 05, 2007

Visiting the garden

Gardening at a community garden has many advantages and a few drawbacks. But one of these drawbacks has a silver lining.

Because my plot is not outside the back door my visits this winter have been infrequent. Before last Saturday I had not been to the garden for several weeks. At that time I had spread the last leaves on one remaining bed and checked the garlic and shallots for signs of shoots. These beds I had mulched with a thick layer of leaves when I planted the sets in late fall. I poked around in the leaves and saw only one tiny green shoot. When the weather turned back to winter I imagined the garlic and shallots in their mulched beds, snug under the snow and basically dormant, waiting to emerge when the sun finally came to stay for a while.

And here’s the silver lining.

We were blessed with a sunny day last Saturday. The soil was still too saturated to work but I couldn’t resist a trip to the plot, if only to imagine what might be growing there in a scant few months. I was completely and pleasantly surprised to see healthy 4 inch garlic shoots and the beginning of shallots sprouting. Every garlic set had sprouted and grown (Big John’s Garden quality does it again!) during my absence.

4 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Blogger IlonaGarden said...

How marvelous to have a nice surprise like that. We are back into winter temps. :( so I live vicariously through bloggers who have warmer tales to tell.

We are completely saturated here, too. Ponding water sits above the still frozen ground- but I enjoy looking at the clouds... that is as close to silver lining as I get this week:)

 
At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone wrote on their blog about "nature's skill to just get on with it". Just when we think we might not be doing enough, our garden gives us pleasant rewards like your garlic shoots here.

Happy gardening!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger MrBrownThumb said...

Hi,

I was just doing some surfing and saw that you had linked my gardening blog in your sidebar. Thanks for that. But you should have told me you were going to link to me so that I could have returned the favor.

Anyway I will add your blog today to my blog roll.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger sewimsiz said...

You gave the knowledge for thanks.

lig radyo alem fm dinle kral fm dinle süper fm dinle maç dinle radyo dinle müzik dinle sohbetci sohbet ekle mirc indir radyo dinle sohbet sohbet sohbetci forum video izle mirc güncel haber sohbet siteleri chat sohbet odaları chat sohpet cinsel sohbet chat muhabbet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home