Friday, May 12, 2006

Lavender

I was recently reminded in the most intense way that lavenders are a very diverse group. I purchased a Spanish lavender, Lavandula stoechas 'Bella Rose' and placed it on the truck seat for the trip home. The small Toyota cab soon filled with a strong but not unpleasant camphor fragrance laced with classic lavender overtones.




The level of camphor volatiles in Spanish lavender is significantly higher than in the L. angustifolia or L.x intermedia. The fragrance lingered in the truck for a week, a bracing little jolt to start the day, and every bit as effective as a cup of coffee.

In spite of this experience I was surprised by the fragrance of the Fernleaf lavender, L. multifida, that I planted from seed this winter. It is described as "pungent". The fragrance is sharp and unexpected but the plant is attractive and rates a spot in the garden, maybe next to a lovely 'Hidcote blue'. I can inhale the heady fragrance of the neighboring plant and enjoy the striking blossoms of the fernleaf.

So many lavenders, so little time.

1 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in zone 7 too, but I'm in Oklahoma, not Oregon. :)A trifle hotter, drier, and windier, no doubt. Nonetheless, what variety of lavender would you recommend growing from seed? I've purchased "Munstead", but they didn't come up. Still have another packet, but I'm reconsidering....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home