Saturday, February 24, 2007

Daphne watch

I would like to apologize in advance to all of the intrepid gardeners living and gardening in Zones 6 or lower. But I really must whine a bit. I had been watching the progress of buds on the fragrant daphne (Daphne odora) for the last two weeks. They were plumped up nicely and sported that lovely magenta color that promises fragrant blossoms, their delicate perfume carried on gentle March breezes. (At this point may I insert the sound of a needle being dragged across a record?)

Thursday brought a record snowfall. The snow was especially wet. Branches broke from the venerable old cypress down the block, power lines sagged, and the daphne bush was a white hump. Fragrant March breezes? Hmphh.





But the snow has now melted enough to reveal a daphne virtually unchanged. I have never experienced a snow so far along in the bud development so the bloom status remains to be seen. But the buds look healthy and I am cautiously optimistic.

Here in my corner of the PNW gardeners have been accustomed to a seemly progression of seasons with few surprises. But Mother Nature has seen fit to stop coddling us these last few seasons. Storms are stacked up out in the Pacific, ready for their marching orders. It is windy and cold today, the sky filled with flat, steel-gray clouds. I’ll watch the daphne and see if it lives up to one of its common names. It is, after all, known as winter daphne.

5 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

It looks quite hopeful!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Gotta Garden said...

I feel your pain! We've had about 6-8 inches of snow drop on us today...and my daphnes are covered as well...

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure where this website is originating from but found it today when I did a search for Daphne Bushes. I am in Kansas, a recent transplant from Northern California which was close to Ashland, Oregon. Today we are having Oregon weather, damp & warm and it makes me miss Ashland which is the prettiest place I have ever been in the Spring.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger sewimsiz said...

You gave the knowledge for thanks.

lig radyo alem fm dinle kral fm dinle süper fm dinle maç dinle radyo dinle müzik dinle sohbetci sohbet ekle mirc indir radyo dinle sohbet sohbet sohbetci forum video izle mirc güncel haber sohbet siteleri chat sohbet odaları chat sohpet cinsel sohbet chat muhabbet
ct

 

Post a Comment

<< Home