Saturday, July 07, 2007

Annual first tomato post

There is a reason that so many garden bloggers post their first ripe tomato. It is akin to the clouds parting and a celestial ray of buttery sunshine pouring onto the garden, a heavenly host singing in the background.

Yes. It is that good.

My first ripe tomato this year was ‘Bloody Butcher’. Despite its rather base name the flavor was transcendent, still warm from the sun. The later tomatoes boast incredibly rich and complex flavors but the first tomato is incomparable after a winter of store bought tomatoes or, worse, no tomatoes.

For me it marks the real, non-calendar beginning of high summer. A seemingly endless succession of languid afternoons, thick fragranced evenings and a parade of summer crops to be enjoyed and preserved.

3 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger kate said...

Ah, there are few things as satisfying as eating a tomato still warm from the vine.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah ha! Bloody Butcher! I've heard great things about this tomato.
-www.sassygardener.com

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger Sue Swift said...

Hi – this is an invitation to join the Garden Bloggers Retro carnival. I don’t know if you’ve ever come across the concept of a Blog carnival – if not I’ve explained it in detail on my site today (Oct 1). But basically the idea is to revive an old post which you think is worth rereading, or which you think new readers might enjoy. Send me the link to the post, and in November I’ll publish a series of posts describing and linking to all the posts people have nominated.
I hope you’ll join in and we have a fun carnival!
Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home