Thursday, August 05, 2004

Salvia

I have read glowing descriptions of Salvia patens or gentian sage and have always wanted to grow it. Betsy Clebsh, in A Book of Salvias, echoes its popularity:

Since Salvia patens was introduced to horticulture in 1838, it has been extensively grown and deservedly praised. William Robinson (1933) says that without question, it is one of the best plants in cultivation. Many gardeners today wholeheartedly agree with him.


I now count myself among those gardeners. Every year I buy many of my basic seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds. This company usually offers a few interesting flower seeds. I saw the description of S. patens 'Blue Angel' and decided to try it. I was not disappointed. The size of the blossoms was a complete surprise. And the clear blue really is unlike any salvia I have grown.




I have just discovered that S. patens 'Guanajuato' is supposed to have blossoms up to 2"! I will be trying to hunt down some seed this winter.

So many salvias... so little room.