Saturday, May 22, 2004

Basil day

It’s time to plant the basil (Ocimum basilicum). The weather should be mild with afternoon showers…perfect. Setting out basil seedlings is a true pleasure, the fragrance evoking a summer state of mind.

Continuing the annual pursuit of the perfect pesto, I selected two varieties for this year’s trial. The names were similar and I expected the plants to be similar as well. I was mistaken. The leaves of ‘Genovese’ from Kitchen Garden Seeds are lance shaped and pointed while ‘Profuma di Genova’ from Renee’s Garden Seeds has round broad leaves.

Other basils, apart from the main pesto crop, include the lovely 2002 AAS winner ‘Magical Michael’ from Park’s. Though not particularly useful as a culinary herb, the fragrant, showy blooms certainly make it worth growing.

Had I known that I would have extra space in front of the newly redesigned tomato bed I certainly would have also started some ‘Spicy Globe’ basil for this spot. I only hope I can find some seedlings at a garden shop!

Planting the basil seedlings marks the beginning of the summer season more convincingly than any particular calendar day. Basil is the essence of summer, holding the promise of months of garden abundance, and the annual planting of the basil bed is one gardening ritual that personifies the whole gardening experience. Here’s to summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home