Saturday, May 15, 2004

Out of place, indeed

Describing a weed as merely a "plant out of place" has always seemed a little glib. We can probably all agree that quack grass qualifies as a weed but what of those plants, sought out and planted with intent, that prove unruly?

When I took possession of my present garden I was delighted to find a small bed devoted to herbs. It was in disrepair but with the good bones of well established plants such as lavender and rosemary. I started my planning during the grey rains of Oregon winter, a strategy that has proved the undoing of more than one gardener! I remembered the vivid,almost dayglo, quality of flowers I had seen the previous summer. Nothing would do but to plant rose yarrow (Achillea millefolium 'Cerise Queen').

And it was lovely with gorgeous magenta/crimson blossoms against the dark green, ferny foliage. The second year I came to understand that a plant's sole purpose (anthropomorphic, you say?) is to produce more of itself. Rose yarrow now carpets the entire herb bed. I'm sure it would put on a lovely show, but what happens to my Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla vulgaris) and other low growing herbs?

A lesson learned regarding plants out of place, put in place or
otherwise. Hmmm, perhaps I can pawn some seedlings off on unsuspecting neighbors.... but that would be unkind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home