Saturday, August 28, 2004

A new mantis

I brought a new resident predator to the garden yesterday. I spied it sitting on the edge of a box while at work and thought it would be a nice addition to the garden.


There are two species of praying mantis (family Mantidae) in this region. Stagmomantis Carolina, the Carolina mantis, is native. Tenodera aridifolia, the Chinese mantis, was introduced to the U.S. in the early 1900's for pest control. I have not keyed my new guest (how rude would that be?) but am inclined to think it is the Carolina mantis, whose wings are shorter and do not extend to the end of the abdomen.

The arrival in my garden was marked by much fanfare and turned into a photoshoot. Mantids move slowly and seem to preen for the camera, turning their heads and moving their front legs into the classic "praying" pose that gave rise to the name. The Greek word mantis translates as prophet or seer.

Mantids are thought of as good predators in a garden. Unfortunately they are indiscriminate in their selection of prey and are just as likely to feed on your beneficials as on your pests. But never mind. I love having them in the garden and will be watching for the characteristic egg cases, which show up in some strange places. One year I found one on a shovel handle! For those unfamiliar with the egg case, here is a picture.

1 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent picture of a Praying Mantis. By the way, I can tell that it is a European Praying Mantis(Mantis religiosa).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home